Due to scheduled workshop refurbishments and site updates Cluster Repairs UK will not be accepting no new repair bookings until the 6th of June 2024. All existing customers and Trade orders will not be effected during this closure. Our Phone lines may be affected during this period; please feel free to leave a voice message or, for a faster response, email [email protected], and we will get back to you. Thank you.


The Instrument Cluster Repair Specialist, Cluster Repairs UK

Email : [email protected]

Phone : 0208 525 4069  |  01992 807 908

Instrument Cluster Repair Process

Cluster Repairs UK has created a simple repair booking process for our customers, which if followed correctly will create a fast and hassle free experience with us.

Once you or your local garage has determined the faulty part which needs repairing, you are advised to give us a call at any of our locations to speak to a qualified technician.

At this time you can discuss your repair symptoms and get an exact or estimated price and time scale of the repair. 90% of all repairs are completed within 24 hours. The other 10% of repairs take from 1-3 working days. If parts are required the repair process may take longer. If this is the case you will be notified throughout.

Once your repair has been booked in, please fill in the correct trade or general order acceptance form. On this for you can fill in the make and model of your vehicle, registration, type of repair, symptoms or faults, quoted or estimated price for repair, all your contact details and any other helpful information.

Once the correct form has been filled in and packaged alongside your part to dispatch to us. Please give us a call to confirm delivery or to arrange a pick up.

Opt for the walk-in service and let us serve you and your vehicle from start to completion of your repair.

If you would prefer to opt for the walk-in service please contact us to speak with a technician who will be able to confirm if your repair can be done on a "while you wait" basis. We welcome all our customers to choose this option if available as we can take care of you and your vehicle through the repair process.

Once your part has been fully repaired and ready for return dispatch as this stage one of our professional staff will call you to arrange your payment options.

After your payment has cleared, your part is returned on a next day, tracked and insured service.

Repair process recap

  • Browse through our site to locate your part information
  • Call us at any of our UK locations
  • Discuss your repair with us and receive a repair cost and timescale of repair completion
  • Fill in and print off correct online repair order form
  • Dispatch your part to us for repair or arrange collection
  • Wait while your repair is being undertaken. 90% of repairs are carried our within 24 hours
  • Once your repair is complete, we will call you to arrange payment prior to dispatch
  • Once your payment has been received your part is return via next day Special Delivery

Both trade and private customers have an order acceptance form to fill in. These can be found below. If for any reason you have any issues with booking your repair in, please do not hesitate in contacting one of our UK friendly staff who will be more then happy to help.